Dynamic object titles in Power BI!

Posting a blog on Sunday, yeah…why not. This time posted from the beautiful city of Stockholm. I traveled to Stockholm to attend SQL Saturday Stockholm #851 this weekend as a speaker. Today, Sunday, I’m still here to do some sight seeing. So I wrote this blog post with the below shown view. Could be worse… right!

And now on with where it is all about… Dynamic visual titles in Power BI!

In the past, titles of you Power BI objects where static or in case you wanted to change them, this was only possible by using hierarchies on your axis. Power BI automatically changed the visual title by drilling in a hierarchy. This works fine, as long as you didn’t change it manually. Luckily this belongs to the past now! Since the April 2019 Power BI desktop update, it is possible to use DAX expressions to base your visual title on. Looking at this, it might be the first step to translations for Power BI and dynamically changing texts based on the users profile.

 

Dynamically change titles by using a hierarchy

As mentioned in the intro of this blog, it was already possible to change the title of your visual based on a hierarchy used in your chart. This actually worked fine, until you changed the title manually. From that point on, your title doesn’t change dynamically any longer. Since this is a known fact and there were  no better options available, we’re not spending any more time on this functionality. Drill Up and Down title change

 

Change titles based on a expression

Since the April 2019 update, it is possible to change the titles of your visuals based on a DAX expression. A really cool and much wanted feature if you ask me. So let’s start with a really basic example of how this works.

First of all, we must create a measure. Imagine that we have a slicer in our report to select the year. With that, we want to change the visual title dynamically. So, we do have a bar chart with the number of orders by category, and we do have a slicer for year. Knowing that, we want to change the title to “Number of orders by [selected year]” where we re-use the selected year from the slicer, or “Number of orders for multiple years” in case there is no year selected, or multiple years selected. We will start creating a measure for this.

Table Title step 1 =
VAR SelectedYear = SELECTEDVALUE('Values'[Year]; "multiple years")
RETURN
CONCATENATE("Number of orders for "; SelectedYear)

This measure first gets the selected year, but since SELECTEDVALUE can only return one result, we have an alternative result which is “multiple years”. To use this measure as our visual title, we open the format pane for the visual, go to title and over there we can right click in the title input field. In this input field you can select conditional formatting. With that you can select your just created DAX measure to be your title. 

Change Title Step 1

 

The next step

This is actually really cool! But we can take it to the next step. Now, let’s crate a visual title which includes a translation. In order to get this working, I first created a table including all possible titles for my visual, which looks like shown below. Since I want to base my translations on the logged-in user, I do have another table with the users and their preferred language.

VisualTitleTable

Next up, creating a row level security role which results in only one row for our user table. This will help us to change this created relationship from many-to-many to a one-to-many relationship. With this we can actively filter our table with translations and create another measure. Probably I want to create a measure like this for multiple visualizations, so I added an object name in the translation table as well which I will use as a filter in my measure.

Object Title Language =
VAR UserPreferedLanguage =
    SELECTEDVALUE ( Users[Language]; "EN" )
RETURN
    CALCULATE (
        SELECTEDVALUE ( TableTranslations[ObjectText] );
        FILTER ( TableTranslations; TableTranslations[Language] = UserPreferedLanguage );
        TableTranslations[Objectname] = "Visual1"
    )

This measure first selects the user’s preferred language. In case there isn’t one, it returns English by default. Afterwards I get the selected object title from the table filtered on the preferred language, and the objectname. This results in a dynamically changing title!

Now, It’s time to see things working. So by switching the roles with row-level-security, I’m now able to change the language of this object dynamically!

Change Title Language

 

To make it easier to understand how awesome this new functionality is, I’ve created a file which you can download here. This file will help you to reproduce and create your own dynamic object titles.

3 Comments Add yours

  1. Very nice ! Interesting. Just hope this is not the “Microsoft final solution” for translation/multi-language support in Power BI…

    Liked by 1 person

  2. Marc says:

    Hi Alain,
    Thanks for your reply. I don’t think this is the final solution. Since we’re still waiting for the final solution to come, this might be an interesting temporary solution.

    Like

  3. some great ideas this gave me!

    Like

Leave a Reply to Alain Veillette Cancel reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s