Recently I wrote a blog on how you can use External Tools to document your Power BI data model. I have to admit, I’m overly excited about the responses and feedback that I have received. On this page, I want to share all changes and adjustments to the external tool. Below you will find a change log.
Some people have run into issues with getting the tool up and running. Therefore I also added an FAQ page to the GitHub library. Kindly check if your question is listed there and if that will solve your issue. If that doesn’t help, feel free to drop a message.
V1.2.1 – Added row level security
– Insights in row level security filters and validity of expressions.
Only updating the PBI template file is sufficient to make use of the new enhancement! There is no need to reinstall the tool.
V1.2.0 – New export format and minor fixes
– New export format, now supports export to Excel and Power BI
– Start-up menu which lets you choose the export format
– Enhanced logging and error handling
– Several minor enhancements
Read the full release in this blogpost
V1.1.1 – Bug fixes to pbit file
– Fixed an issue with the model view, which showed incorrect matches.
– Fixed an issue where description where repeated for all measures.
– Simplified the parameter startup screen when opening the pbit file.
V1.1.0 – Update to pbit file, installation and more!
– Support for installation via PowerBI.tips Business Ops.
– Automatic detection of installer location vs default location.
– Automatic download of the pbit template if cannot be found.
V1.0.1 – Minor changes
– Easier editing of personal preferred location with a single variable.
– Added logging for the script (see below screenshot).
– Better error handling in the pbit file in relation to file path.
– Introduced a new variable in the script for upcoming changes.
Check the detailed changes in the GitHub commit details.
V1.0 – Initial release
– Release of first version as described in this blog post.
– Requires manual installation of the tool by placing files in several directories.